Project Funding

This project is listed as Project W-5703H in the N.C. Department of Transportation’s State Transportation Improvement Program and is funded for $4.15 million in construction costs.

Project Timeline


Project Needs

U.S. 17 is a 4-lane, divided highway with stop-sign-controlled median breaks at Hickman Road NW and at S. Middleton Drive NW (the entrance to the Brunswick Plantation & Golf Resort), and a U-turn median break south of Hickman Road NW. Currently, Hickman Road NW and S. Middleton Drive NW have provisions to make left turns and right turns onto U.S. 17. There is a posted speed limit of 55 mph on U.S. 17 and Hickman Road NW.
Twenty-seven crashes were reported at the intersection of U.S. 17 and Hickman Road NW during the five-year period from 2012 to 2017. There were no fatal crashes recorded at this intersection. Most crashes (52%) were injury crashes and the remaining (48%) were property-damage-only crashes. The most common crashes were angle crashes (67% of all crashes), followed by rear-end crashes at 18%. Daytime crashes accounted for 85% of all crashes and most crashes (89%) occurred during dry pavement conditions.

Public Comment

NCDOT accepts comments through the Planning and Design processes. 

Comments should be submitted as follows:



US Mail to the Project Manager listed below


All comments received carry equal weight, regardless of submission method. 

All comments will be reviewed and suggestions/recommendations incorporated into designs where feasible. 

Question title

Would you like to be added to the project mail or email list?


Although the N.C. Department of Transportation works to minimize the number of homes and businesses displaced by a road project, it is inevitable, in many cases, that a certain amount of private property is needed. The following information explains right of way acquisition and answers questions about the process.  

Right-of-Way Brochure Single Page Layout      Folleto del Proceso de Adquisición de Bienes Raíces
Right-of-Way Frequently Asked Questions

Right of way Acquisition Process Videos

English                                                                     Spanish


Project Contact Information

Michael Bass

NCDOT Project Manager

Highway Division 3

5501 Barbados Boulevard

Castle Hayne, NC 28429